The float valve is similar to a toilet bowl tank fill valve.  When the water level drops the ball drops opening the valve.  This one is made of plastic and has a hook up for 1/2" copper pipe, but many different styles and sizes are available.  This one was purchased from Aquatic Eco-Systems.